The LCN currently has two JPK Nanowizard 1 AFM's to provide high resolution imaging of biological samples using a closed feedback loop to ensure precise positionining in the X,Y and Z dimensions. Furthermore the Nanowizard can be used in combination with optical microscopy to provide complementary information from the sample.
At the LCN, the AFM heads are mounted on Olympus IX71 inverted microscopes, both of which have DAPI, FITC, GFP and TRITC filter sets and a Hamamatsu ORCA ER and Imaging Source DFK31AF03 camera for acquisition. One of the Nanowizard systems can also be used in conjunction with an Olympus FV1000 laser scanning confocal microscope.
Examples of applications:
- Live cell imaging
- Cell membrane studies
- Elastic properties of the cytoskeleton and cell adhesion
- Binding studies eg. antibody/antigen, receptor/ligand
- Single molecule studies on DNA, RNA, proteins, cabohydrates,lipids etc.
- Polymer and thin film imaging
- Nanoparticles, nanotubes, nanocomposites, quantum dots, colloids
- Studies on functionalised surfaces